Friday, June 18, 2010

So Much Love

There are some people who would go to the ends of the Earth for you.


Okay, China might not quite be the end of the Earth, but I'd say it's pretty close when most people were coming from America, England, or Denmark.


And when I think back to our wedding day, as well as being filled with love for my husband, I'm overcome with how much I love all of the people who made such an effort to be with us on that special day.


Immediate family, second cousins,



friends from childhood, friends from university,


some people I hadn't seen in years.


But somehow, over the course of the week of sight-seeing and fun before the wedding, it stopped being important how exactly people were related, or how long it had been since we'd seen each other. All that mattered was that we were in Beijing together, and that each of these people had chosen to be there with us.


No doubt making sacrifices of time, money, and other plans to do so.



And I feel so incredibly grateful to these people, who showed us that our family really means something to them. It's not just a word you use to define how so-and-so is related to you, it's a real bond that drives you to be active and connect and show those people that they matter to you.


So, this date reminds me not just of the beginning of my marriage, but of the wonderful family I have, who don't just say they 'would' go to the end of the Earth for me, but have done it, and proved it, and are stamped on my heart in a way that won't ever be forgotten.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my, that is the coolest thing! They must have had a fabulous time!! What are some of your favorite memories about that week, out and about in Beijing?

Red Red Completely Red said...

Oh, so many memories! Perhaps one of the best, though this might sound silly, was being in the little minibus we rented, driving around Beijing with all the relatives! What a laugh. And bargaining with salesmen at the Dirt Market was another unforgettable experience.