Sunday, April 21, 2013

+ all finished +

These twenty-three crosses are all packed up, and headed across the country to their new home.


It took me ages to work out how to quilt this design -- swirly stippling didn't seem to go with the geometric design, but I couldn't bear to sew through the black crosses with white thread. In the end (thanks to a little quilterly advice), I used straight lines, but skipped over each cross. The crosses are then outlined with a line of black thread. Time-consuming and oh-so-much turning, but finished at last.

On the back, a gingham-ish black print, broken up with a line of low-volume prints from the front.



Such a pleasure to sew with this collection of all time favourite fabrics, and experiment with low-volume prints like this. When I look at the quilt from a distance, new patterns seem to emerge in the background, from where the pure whites or the greyer fabrics fall, or where the little fox heads pop up. And, of course, just a little bit of red.

17 comments:

Saxongirl said...

Beautiful work, Astrid.

Saxongirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
monique's mess said...

Such lovely work really beautiful

karen said...

I love how you filled in the background! It's a beautiful quilt!

cinzia said...

lovely quilt. i love the use of low volume fabrics for the background. a very grahic look with the black crosses.

Hitch and Thread said...

This is gorgeous.

Sarina said...

Fabulous!

ann said...

Love this ! Just found you today but by what circuitous route I am uncertain. You will go on my Bloglovin' list.

Amira@littlemushroomcap said...

beautiful and modern.. first time i am here on your blog.. this quilt brought me here.. nice one!

Amy said...

I adore this. I am so in love with low volume right now. I love the black crosses. Looks amazing.

Amy said...

I adore this. I am so in love with low volume right now. I love the black crosses. Looks amazing.

Paula V. said...

This is gorgeous, do you have any information on the fabric you used? Is there a tutorial for this? Lovely!

Unknown said...

so beautiful, thanks to share ;)

shanley said...

this is maybe the nicest quilt I've seen. Any chance there's a pattern or a tutorial anywhere?? I recognize a few fabrics (one's ikea!) but I'd love to hear more about the list..

Jenniffier said...

Such a wonderful quilt. Thanks for sharing the quilting details. I agree with the not wanting to cut through the black crosses with white thread. The extra time spent on the details really make this quilt pop!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful quilt - simply love it♡♡♡

Kellie said...

I have just made one using your quilt as motivation. It’s time for me to machine quilt it and I. Having trouble deciding how..
did you skip the black crosses or change fabric?

It will be the first of a double bed size I have ever done��