Sunday, April 21, 2013

+ all finished +

These twenty-three crosses are all packed up, and headed across the country to their new home.


It took me ages to work out how to quilt this design -- swirly stippling didn't seem to go with the geometric design, but I couldn't bear to sew through the black crosses with white thread. In the end (thanks to a little quilterly advice), I used straight lines, but skipped over each cross. The crosses are then outlined with a line of black thread. Time-consuming and oh-so-much turning, but finished at last.

On the back, a gingham-ish black print, broken up with a line of low-volume prints from the front.



Such a pleasure to sew with this collection of all time favourite fabrics, and experiment with low-volume prints like this. When I look at the quilt from a distance, new patterns seem to emerge in the background, from where the pure whites or the greyer fabrics fall, or where the little fox heads pop up. And, of course, just a little bit of red.

+++

16 comments:

Saxongirl said...

Beautiful work, Astrid.

Saxongirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
monique's mess said...

Such lovely work really beautiful

karen said...

I love how you filled in the background! It's a beautiful quilt!

cinzia said...

lovely quilt. i love the use of low volume fabrics for the background. a very grahic look with the black crosses.

Hitch & Thread said...

This is gorgeous.

Sarina said...

Fabulous!

ann said...

Love this ! Just found you today but by what circuitous route I am uncertain. You will go on my Bloglovin' list.

Amira@littlemushroomcap said...

beautiful and modern.. first time i am here on your blog.. this quilt brought me here.. nice one!

Amy said...

I adore this. I am so in love with low volume right now. I love the black crosses. Looks amazing.

Amy said...

I adore this. I am so in love with low volume right now. I love the black crosses. Looks amazing.

Paula V. said...

This is gorgeous, do you have any information on the fabric you used? Is there a tutorial for this? Lovely!

Juliana Sampaio said...

so beautiful, thanks to share ;)

shanley said...

this is maybe the nicest quilt I've seen. Any chance there's a pattern or a tutorial anywhere?? I recognize a few fabrics (one's ikea!) but I'd love to hear more about the list..

Jenniffier Kramer said...

Such a wonderful quilt. Thanks for sharing the quilting details. I agree with the not wanting to cut through the black crosses with white thread. The extra time spent on the details really make this quilt pop!

Fiona Brandt said...

What a beautiful quilt - simply love it♡♡♡