Thursday, March 8, 2012

{international studies for beginners}

People often ask us what sort of accent Tilly has -- British or American. So far, it's a complete mixture -- trash has beaten rubbish, but jumper has won out over sweater. Here's a taste of our daily cultural chaos.


TILLY (holding a Beanie Baby): Anteater!
JUSTIN: Hey! You've made her say it the British way!
ME: What do Americans call anteaters?
JUSTIN: Anteater.
ME: That's what I say.
JUSTIN: No. You say antea-ta!

-     -     -

JUSTIN (going in to get Tilly out of bed): Guten morgen, Til-Bear.
TILLY: Goo-goo mo-ney, Daddy.

-     -     -

JUSTIN (pointing to a herb): What do I call this again? Oleander?
ME: Do you mean coriander?
JUSTIN: Oh, yeah. What do I call coriander?
ME: I can't remember. But this is parsley.

-     -     -

TILLY, JUSTIN and ME (in three-part harmony): A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y...
JUSTIN: Zee!
ME: Zed!
TILLY: Dzzzzzz!


0 comments: