Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Year of Miffy

miffy [mif-ee] 
  1. n. a rabbit with her own series of children's picture books, by Dick Bruna
  2. adj. informal. touchy, easily upset


When I was little, my parents called me 'Miffy', partly because I loved the sweet little rabbit and her rhyming adventures, but mostly because I was (apparently) a strong-willed little terror who miffed whenever things didn't go my way. 


Now, as everyone knows, little terrors always get what they deserve. Eight-month-old Miffy Jr. takes after her mother both in her regard for the sweet little rabbit and her rhyming adventures, and in her tendency to have a bit of miff from time to time.


(Is there any better phrase than "having a bit of a miff"?)


So, with a bit of freezer paper, I put together a little bag for Miffy Sr. (yours truly) to use for lugging around all of Miffy Jr.'s necessities. Because, you know, without snacks, drinks, hats, jumpers, spare socks, cloths and a large selection of toys, we're all prone to a bit of miffiness.


Miffy Jr. loves to carry her books around in her new bag, and apparently the tough canvas in just perfect for chomping on with new little teeth.

7 comments:

Ingrid @ Fable of the Table said...

How perfectly you describe yourself as a little miffer and how perfect is the bag you have made.
Your post really made me smile this morning.
Mum x

Red Red Completely Red said...

Thanks, Mum! My apologies for all the miffing :)

Squiggly Rainbow said...

We love Miffy! I have been collecting vintage Dick Bruna books for the last few years, such simplicity - I love it! xo

monkeemoomoo said...

You really are so good with that freezer paper, I must try it.

I love that bag:)Too cute!

Loreal said...

Love it! You must have a nice sense of accomplishment from finishing that!

Unknown said...

Hey, funny to see this post the other day, as I had a Miffy weekend this weekend! I went to the Miffy museum for the first time, with my niece (16 months old), who loved it. The museum is here in Utrecht, because Dick Bruna is from here. Good factoid, right? Another one is that the bunny's name is actually Nijntje, not Miffy. Because "Konijtje" means little rabbit in Dutch.

Nicole Chavez said...

How perfectly you describe yourself as a little miffer and how perfect is the bag you have made. Your post really made me smile this morning. Mum x