Wednesday, May 11, 2011

{a love story in two parts}

As our third wedding anniversary approaches, I'm planning a little book of us -- a handmade little collection of memories of how Justin and I met, our first date, our trips together, our story.


The problem with writing our story is that there are many details that we remember differently. Justin would say that we met on my birthday, a week into the fall semester; I would swear that we met four days after my birthday, the weekend before classes started. Maybe you and your partner are the same way?

So, I thought I'd try to come up with a way to tell the story from both points of view. How he tells it, how I tell it, next to each other. The whole truth.


At the moment, we're still in the data collection phase. I've jotted down a few prompts -- when, where, favourite parts -- and packed one copy up for Justin to take off on his next business trip. Yes, complete with a pen, so there's no excuse for him not to fill them out!


How exactly it'll come together, I'm not sure yet. Hand-written, printed? With photos, souvenirs, and maps? I've been itching to try binding books -- any advice, for a complete beginner?

3 comments:

Jadyn said...

What a sweet project to do together! Ben and I also remember meeting each other for the first time differently...it will be interesting how your stories are similar and different.

lamina@do a bit said...

awwww... I really LOVE "how we met" stories... It's just so interesting finding out how people got together and how they felt about each other at the time! there is always two side to every story :)

Loreal said...

I think it's really great that you're doing this! I wrote the story of how Stephen and I met as a non-fiction piece in an undergrad creative writing class, and was really glad I got it down before I forgot anymore of it! I found it helpful to look at a calendar of the time that we met to help me remember the timeline and the details, and also pulled out all my old journals, momentos, pictures, etc. of us from that time so that I could recall all the little details that get forgotten (and you know I have a box of those momentos =). Anyways, it's a great project, and I can't wait to see how it turns out! I'd also like to to again recognize that you are the most productive mother I know...