Saturday, July 9, 2011

{work in progress: play kitchen}

Once upon a time, there was a girl who dreamed of having a beautiful wooden kitchen to cook in. There would be space to store salt, pepper, and the rolling pin she got for her birthday...


...a little red clock to make sure she had dinner ready on time...



...and a tiled backsplash, well, just because.


Well, it turns out the Fairy Godmother of roadside rubbish was smiling down on us as we found this sorry piece of furniture sitting in the rain yesterday. Doesn't it just overflow with play-kitchen potential?


A coat of white paint? A sink and a few burners? Can you picture it?

Justin was less sure, but kindly carried it home for me anyway while I attempted to simultaneously control Baby-in-Pushchair and Crazy-Dog, to the amusement of many passersby.



You know what they say: "Four wheels good, two wheels bad." Well, I'm not so sure that's true. I'm thinking, if I screw two regular legs onto the other end (which is presently missing wheels), this little kitchen will be mobile if desired, but will stay put when we want it to. I'm a little concerned a four-wheeled cupboard would quickly become a battering-ram in Tilly's hands.


And, surely, in our giant box of IKEA spare parts, we've got two of those little adjustable feet that seem to come with everything? (And no, we don't buy Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies by the case, as much as Justin wishes we did)


Now, I have to warn you, I've set myself a budget of ZERO dollars for this kitchen. Partly because I want to force myself to use the things we have around the house, (i.e. paint from Tilly's dresser, the faucet that Justin replaced last year, old knobs and handles) and partly to keep myself from getting obsessed with it right now. Having just turned one, Tilly doesn't want to play kitchen just yet. She wants to empty drawers and chew on chair legs. 

So, this is going on the long term project list. Deadline: Christmas. 

P.S. To see more inspiration, check out the DIY Play Kitchen board. I know, I'm sorry, I'm Pinterest crazy. 

3 comments:

Loreal said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with! There are so many fun things you can sew for it, too! Oven mitts, dish towels, cloth napkins... One of my friends did that for her daughter's play kitchen. It will be adorable, and Tilly will love it!

Steph said...

Oh well done you! I made one out of an old bedside table, a stainless steel mixing bowl, a few old taps and a whole lotta love! My poppet uses hers every single day. Best of luck with the makeover! :) x

Teresa said...

What a great find - I can't wait to see how it turns out!