Thursday, November 17, 2011

{most of a part of a bit of a quilt}

Roaming the pinboards for inspiration, I stopped short when I saw this piece of patchwork, from haven


I've been wanting to use some of the old quilt scraps that Justin's grandma gave me to make a new quilt -- to take some of that beautiful hand-stitching and not just recycle it, but take it back to its old life a little bit. And maybe transfer some of that seventy-year-old magic to my slightly more modern choice of fabrics. Red, white and grey -- the official sponsors of Christmas 2011.


Can you spot the antique?



(No, Justin's ten-year-old shirt doesn't count!

Happily, my giant pile of "nice fabric" old clothing is shrinking down to a single box. The lid doesn't quite fit on it yet, but we're getting there.

Also in the mix: a pair of baggy Thai trousers from our honeymoon that never quite looked as hip once we were back in America, mikodesign's lovely russian doll fabric, a great stash of red fabrics from my Mum, a rather more revealing top than I'd ever like to admit to wearing, and a couple of those $1.99 a yard! fabrics I see now and then at Walmart and can't resist, though I don't know what to do with them.



Of course, even after cutting and piecing six king-size rows of strips, the whole thing is looking a little short. Wrap it around yourself on a chilly morning and you'll have some frost-bitten ankles. So, back to the cutting board for now...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea Astrid. This is bound to inspire others to quilt along these colourful lines. Jenni

Ingrid said...

Love the way you are using these fabrics- I recognise a few of them!
I x

cathy@home said...

That looks east enough for me to have a go at quilting.

cathy@home said...

oops sorry east was supposed to be easy

Beth Smith said...

I love the simplicity of this quilt. Beautiful. I have a quilt ministry and share my quilting gift with others. Check out my blogs:

http://hillcountryquiltministry.blogspot.com/

http://heartopentogod.blogspot.com/

God bless you,
Beth