Tuesday, June 11, 2013

shadows and light

"Where there is light there must be shadow, where there is shadow there must be light. There is no shadow without light and no light with out shadow."

--Haruki Murakami, 1Q84


light and shadow

I cannot shake these words. Too often, I am a black or white thinker -- the whole world, today, forever, past and future, is either light or dark. How hard it is to grasp that we need our shadows in order to shine. We are all bursts of sunlight into the dusty, unswept corners of the world, and we are all smudges of thunder on the summer evening skies. Simultaneously.

This quilt -- still just a top -- was born from that thought. A translation of words into fabric.

light and shadow light and shadow

Spot the red?

(A selection of these blacks available as a bundle at WestwoodAcres)

6 comments:

bethany said...

Love this Astrid! Light and shadow always inspire me in the natural and the metaphor. Thanks for sharing. And as always, I love the quilt.

bethany said...

Love this Astrid! Light and shadow always inspire me in the natural and the metaphor. Thanks for sharing. And as always, I love the quilt.

Red Red Completely Red said...

Thanks so much, Bethany. Yes, it's a metaphor that I find so inspiring, in all areas of life (although I still find it hard to get shadow into a photograph -- as you do so well!).

Unknown said...

Really great to see the variations in the dark shadows and how well they contrast with the the light. Love your combination of word and cloth as always.
I x

holly | bijou lovely said...

It looks amazing Astrid! So glad you used that black/white/red print, I figured it might be perfect for you :)

Sofia said...

The quilt top looks amazing, very artistic and minimal. I love the book from where you use the inspiration, too!