Wednesday, October 22, 2014

fifty shades of fox

 photo IMG_7607.jpg  photo IMG_8145.jpg

In many ways, life at home with two little children revolves around the seasons. The spring is for picnics and planting; the summer, for dashing from one air-conditioned space to the pool and back again. This year, I loved sewing for these seasons: pastel quilts in April and May inspired by the lengthening sunsets; deep, rich quilts in July and August to remind me of what our garden gives us at that times of year.

And now, autumn is setting us free again -- the outside beckoning with new curiosities. I have not, once, though, sewn anything for the autumn -- until now.

I have to confess, I'm a little bit in love with orange this year in general -- it's been my secret weapon numerous times this year, in giving a bit of extra energy to the rather predictable turquoise-white-grey combo. And so, inspired by the (few) leaves that have begun to change in our garden, and the rather excessive family of pumpkins that have taken over our house, I chose a pattern that would fit an all-orange/red palette rather nicely...

FOXIES!

 photo DSC_0361.jpg  photo DSC_0353.jpg
 photo IMG_8464.jpg

These fancy fox faces are made using a pattern by Elizabeth Hartman (Fancy Fox Quilt, bought here). I don't think I can properly describe how much fun it is to turn little squares and rectangles into faces -- and, after the first one, how surprisingly easy! And addictive.

And so, the fox wall keeps growing, thoroughly freaking my husband out whenever he comes in -- as he says, "It's like walking into the woods on a foggy morning, and there's this pack of hungry eyes staring at you...".

I'll leave you with that thought, and these forty eyes, staring at you...

 photo DSC_0348.jpg

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love these foxes. You've really got me inspired in a fantastic way. Great choice of fabrics to bring out the foxy character.

Carla said...

Oh I do love that quilt beside the little person. Rich fall colours. Your foxes are delightful

Kathryn said...

Such fun fox faces! :)

Greta said...

Do you know what the gray fabric you used was?love your color choices!

Custom Invitations and Addressing said...

I would like to know the size of the block, please.

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm looking for some help please. I have finished the blocks and front in general for this quilt (you're so right, once you get moving, it goes fast). But in the original design it called for some simple block quilting but you seemed to have this fabulous wood-grain. Did you freehand it or did you find someone with a long arm machine that did it for you? If you freehanded, please tell me your secrets.