Wednesday, October 22, 2014

fifty shades of fox

 photo IMG_7607.jpg  photo IMG_8145.jpg

In many ways, life at home with two little children revolves around the seasons. The spring is for picnics and planting; the summer, for dashing from one air-conditioned space to the pool and back again. This year, I loved sewing for these seasons: pastel quilts in April and May inspired by the lengthening sunsets; deep, rich quilts in July and August to remind me of what our garden gives us at that times of year.

And now, autumn is setting us free again -- the outside beckoning with new curiosities. I have not, once, though, sewn anything for the autumn -- until now.

I have to confess, I'm a little bit in love with orange this year in general -- it's been my secret weapon numerous times this year, in giving a bit of extra energy to the rather predictable turquoise-white-grey combo. And so, inspired by the (few) leaves that have begun to change in our garden, and the rather excessive family of pumpkins that have taken over our house, I chose a pattern that would fit an all-orange/red palette rather nicely...

FOXIES!

 photo DSC_0361.jpg  photo DSC_0353.jpg
 photo IMG_8464.jpg

These fancy fox faces are made using a pattern by Elizabeth Hartman (Fancy Fox Quilt, bought here). I don't think I can properly describe how much fun it is to turn little squares and rectangles into faces -- and, after the first one, how surprisingly easy! And addictive.

And so, the fox wall keeps growing, thoroughly freaking my husband out whenever he comes in -- as he says, "It's like walking into the woods on a foggy morning, and there's this pack of hungry eyes staring at you...".

I'll leave you with that thought, and these forty eyes, staring at you...

 photo DSC_0348.jpg

5 comments:

Ingrid Duffy said...

I love these foxes. You've really got me inspired in a fantastic way. Great choice of fabrics to bring out the foxy character.

Carla said...

Oh I do love that quilt beside the little person. Rich fall colours. Your foxes are delightful

Kathryn said...

Such fun fox faces! :)

Greta said...

Do you know what the gray fabric you used was?love your color choices!

Custom Invitations and Addressing said...

I would like to know the size of the block, please.