Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sitting and Knitting

While in England a few weeks back, my Mum taught me to knit again. It was the perfect remedy for the hours of TV we always watch... and so in the dull moments of Wimbledon, I picked up the basics. And, well, now I can't seem to stop! I've got so many projects lined up, I only wish that I could go a little bit faster! (I'm definitely of the slow-careful-controlling knitter variety)

Here is my first finished project (not including the mini sleeping bags I made for my toys when I was little): A turquoise and grey striped cashmere cotton scarf, which is really thin and very long. As you can see, it's big enough for both Fatty McBeaver and Monkey to wear it, or for Beaver to wrap herself up in it, burka-style!

What I'm working on right now is another scarf, a little bit more of a challenge because of constant casting-on and off. The pattern is from a wonderful British knitting book I bought, "I Love Knitting", and comes out looking a little like flower petals. Very funky! The original pattern is for two colours, and looks amazing, but I thought I'd stick to one for the time being. It's knitting up very quickly though... partly because there aren't many stitches, and partly because I have a bit of help:

0 comments: