Three panels. Each forty stitches wide, and perhaps 300 rows long. Approximately 36,000 stitches. Done.
It started out very pink. So I added a little of white to lighten it, and then a bit of brown for contrast. And suddenly, it became a giant slab of patchwork ice cream -- strawberry, vanilla, chocolate.
Only a few hours in, I realised that this blanket wasn't for us. We, the house of a million blankets, in the land of eternal humidity, do not need 5lbs of heavy wool.
Instead, it is destined for a certain little sister of mine (I'm banking on the fact that, mid-IB-exam-prep, she doesn't read my blog, so other family, please don't tell her!) who'll be heading off to university this autumn. Though she's a Snuggie fanatic, I'm hoping this'll come in handy when dear old Snuggie is in the wash.
And what's lovely is that the whole of our family contributed: Tilly chewed on the wool as it went from ball to needle; Bella donated a few of her own hairs (albeit, accidentally) for added warmth; Justin knitted two whole stitches on his own-- his first attempt at knitting, and, sadly, probably his last; and me, I just knit and knit and knit, all the while thinking back to my first year of uni and hoping that Alice's first year is equally, more and less momentous.