Monday, June 11, 2012

{in progress: 'on the tube' baby quilt}

Sometimes, inspiration hits so hard that there's nothing to do but give in, right away, dropping everything else and running with it. 

That's how I felt when I saw this Tokyo Subway quilt by Elizabeth Hartman of Oh, Fransson!. She provides full instructions for making the quilt, including just how many thousands of squares to cut... 

 (image source: Oh, Fransson!)

...but I loved the idea of designing my own snaking, bendy train lines. I also loved the idea of scaling it all down a bit, and making a baby/toddler-sized quilt instead. Oh, and I like to imagine these are London Underground trains instead (so please 'mind the gap' between some of the blocks).

The idea was to slowly but surely cut out the 500 squares I needed over the next few months, a few each evening, leaving plenty of time to sew it together before our December due date. However, it was all just a bit too exciting, and one manic night of cutting led to four manic days of sewing, and within a week the whole top was done.


So much for slowly but surely... but then again I do have an awful habit of just making quilt tops and never backing or binding them, so at least there's a good few months left to get all that (boring) stuff done. Until then, Tilly is putting the top to good use, driving her Brio trains up and down the tracks and stopping at each 'squirrel crossing' square (made out of a pair of Justin's old boxers) to avoid any casualties.

3 comments:

Nadine said...

What a lovely quilt-top! I have only made a small doll-quilt last year for Christmas and dream of a bigger one! I am from Germany where quilts are not so common - we are living now in the US (Michigan) for nearly 6 years and I hope to find more time to do such beautiful work more often.....

Red Red Completely Red said...

Lovely to hear from you, Nadine. I hope you find lots of time for beauty, and for sewing, in the near future! And that you'll share anything you make with us!

The Rochleau"s said...

Hope you see this! I love the quilt. I also have wanted to make the Tokyo Subway quilt and love the idea of making it into a toddler's quilt. How big did you make you squares?